The instructions below work for the following web browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer
How to install
- To begin, log into the VPN website with your WatIAM credentials.
From the VPN download page shown below, click Download for Windows to download the installation file.
- Select Save.
- Go to your Downloads folder (via File Explorer) and double-click on the installation file.
- Click Next to start AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Wizard.
- Click Install on the Ready to Install window.
- Accept End User License Agreement and click Next .
- Click the Finish button.
How to connect
The installation process only needs to be done once. After the client is installed, you can use the "Start Menu" item to launch the client connection window.
- Search for Cisco AnyConnect in the Windows start menu and launch the application.
- If you haven't connected before, you will need to specify the VPN server:
- Click Connect.
This brings you to a login window where you can authenticate with your credentials. Under the 'Group' drop-down menu, select 'UW-General-Campus'. Note: 'UW-General-Campus' is the recommended profile. 'UW-Campus' should be used as an alternative profile.
Two-factor authentication (2FA) will be required in order to connect to the VPN starting November 3, 2020. In the 'Second Password' field, enter one of the following, then click OK.
- For Duo Mobile push: enter 'push'
- For Duo hardware token or Duo app: enter your 6-digit code
- For Duo Bypass code: enter your bypass code
- For Yubikey: enter the code generated by touching the Yubikey
If you are having issues connecting, please confirm the AnyConnect client settings, including location and log in details.
When the VPN client is running, you will see an icon in the taskbar notification area (lower right corner of Windows). This can be used to control the VPN connection:
- Right click to close the Cisco AnyConnect client
- Double-click to open the Cisco AnyConnect client
Settings at a glance
If you already have the Cisco VPN client installed, you can use the following settings to connect:
- Server/connect to address: cn-vpn.uwaterloo.ca
- Username: 8-character username
- Password: password