What is WatSAFE desktop notification?
WatSAFE desktop notification is one of several channels the University of Waterloo's emergency communication system will use to distribute messages in the event of an emergency. When triggered, the WatSAFE desktop notification software would cause a pop-up window to appear on the users desktop screen, displaying the emergency message.
To install the latest version of the WatSAFE Desktop Notification software on a Mac workstation:
- Download the app: https://www.apparmor.com/clients/uwaterloo.ca/Resources/Desktop-Notifications-UWaterloo-1.5.pkg
- Run the PKG file to begin installation
- Right-click or Ctrl-click on the installer and then click on the Open button
- Step through the rest of the installation process and enter your Mac password when prompted to Install the software
- In Finder > Applications, look for Desktop Notifications (blue icon with exclamation mark) and double click it to start
- When prompted, click Allow to let WatSAFE Desktop Notifications access System Events, and depending on the OS version, to allow the tool to provide notifications
- Users may also need to click Allow to allow downloads on "uwaterloo.teamdynamix.com"
Managed Mac machines
If you are responsible for managing a group of Mac machines, you may request a package-based deployment version via Request Tracker (RT), rt-IST-ISC-SkypeTeams@rt.uwaterloo.ca
To ensure the WatSAFE Desktop Notification tool is installed, look for the icon (University crest with green circle/check mark) in the menu bar and ensure the status icon is green. Hovering over the icon will display WatSAFE Desktop Notification.